Tuesday, April 17, 2012

All My Loving

This past weekend in Morocco was filled with Weddings, travel, great friends and COLD WEATHER!

The wedding my CBT in Ras El ma attended was great, admittedly I only attended day/night one and headed to the mountains for day 2 of the festivities. The wedding was amazing. The culture was a completely different experience than any other wedding I have ever attended. I do however think years spent with my wonderful Best Friend Susu did prepare me a little for the lavish festivities it was a little like some of the family celebrations I have attended with her. First on the Agenda was going to the Grooms family (The family of Lizzy one of my wonderful CBT Mates)house to have lunch of Couscous (the food so nice they named it twice), liver and Heart of cow (I think) and the cow head (NOPE I didn’t eat it) Everything I did eat was amazing. Next up was Bin Suda to celebrate with the Bride and mostly women of the families. The bride and Groom sat eerily still while a woman decorated the bride’s hands and feet with an Elaborate Henna decoration. Beautiful doesn’t even begin to describe the ornate and unique design that wound around the brides feet and hands. She sat there still, looking poised and ready for a life with the man that sat next to her. This part of the Wedding was Henna Day all of the women gathered for dancing, socialization and to honor the bride during her time of Joy. The hospitality here was the same theme of love, open arms and welcoming souls that is embedded in Moroccan Culture, something I will cherish forever. Cookies and tea were passed around as well as the notorious communal water cup. Women danced to the beat of what I can classify as Moroccan Music (I am still learning all of the styles of music) Hips moved, hands fluttered and love exuded from each person there. After this dance party we got in a car and went back to Ras El ma. Once back in Ras El Ma we headed straight to afternoon Tea! So good as usual. We had a new snack I had never seen which was cake with yogurt and sprinkles (SO GOOD) after this I jetted of with my friends to get ready for the big event of the night. After adorning myself with a beautiful Caftan I was ready to roll! And I looked Zwina! (Beautiful in Darija)I was looking quit Adele”ish” which is who people tell me I look like here in Morocco (obviously I like it ) My CBT mates and I headed down for Dinner and the rest of the celebration. We ate WEDDING CHICKEN I had merely heard rumors of this Moroccan delicacy and there it was soooo Good! I think I ate more there than I have since I arrived! I had a wonderful time laughing with my friends, my amazing host sister and the Groom even sat with us so it was a uniquely special evening I shared with some cool people. The final part of the night was spent watching dancers shake there hips and groove to the loudest music  I have ever heard ever in life… The men sat separate from the woman as we all looked on these dancers, the band and singers.

I honestly had the time of my life, The cultural celebration was beautiful and I really hate I missed day two. However, I would have never traded the time I spent in Azrou with my amazing new friends for a million weddings! I really look forward to spending some time with them again soon!!!

Until Next time,

As soon I was ready to post this blog we had a visit from some family and I was able to catch a moment between a daughter and father that I haven’t seen too often, it was a moment of love, respect, care and admiration so that being said this Blog post is dedicated to my Wonderful Dad! I love and care for him more than he knows! I can’t wait to have you in Morocco to see the wonderful cultural I have been living in. If it wasn’t for you I wouldn’t be here to be experiencing this! Thanks Dad for everything you have ever done I love you! “ and I’ll send all my loving to you”




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Mallory. I love living vicariously through you........April

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crying and laughing, too! Hilarious the comments re the wind suits.
    (You are aware, of course, that "All My Loving" is my hands-down, all time favorite Beatles song! How fitting!)
    Love you very much!!
    Aunt Carolyn

    ReplyDelete